I watched Obama give his acceptance speech this evening. And as I watched him look into the eyes of a nation starving for truth, change, and hope, I couldn't help but tear up a bit. But not for the reasons you think.
My heart began to break as I watched people cheer and chant the words he recited. As I watched them smile with glee and faith in the creeds he proclaimed. As I watched them cry, moved beyond words or expression. They believe in him. They trust him. They love him.
But do they know him? Does he know them? Do they have any idea who it is they adore? If he saw them on the street, would he know their names? If they ate in the same restaurant with him, would he invite them to his table?
And what brought the tears to my eyes was twofold. One: These people have placed all of their hope and faith into the hands of a mere man. A man who knows exactly what they want to hear, and delivers the words poetically to their ears. They cheer, they clap, they cry over the words of a mere man. And not the God of the universe. And two: So many do the exact same things. With Jesus. They praise Him and cheer Him and love and adore Him. But they don't really know Him. And He doesn't know them. And if I'm really really honest with myself, I don't believe that I walk in that reality every day of my life.
Oh Lord, help us. To seek you. To love you. To know you... Amen.
"Be patient with my doubt. I'm just trying to figure out your will. And I really wanna know you still..."
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
that is sad...i don't think i really believe the gospel sometimes...i mean i don't live like i do anyways. but, i want to.
p.s. my president is black
Post a Comment