Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Home Ownership and promised before pics.

It's official. We own the house.... Eeeek! And so it begins...




This is a before shot of our living room. The plan: remove ceiling texture, knock down some shelves, open up the doorway to the kitchen, knock out the wet bar, and turn that bar into a pantry on the other side. Oh, and remove the awesome, awesome panels. PS. This is not our furniture. Just sayin'.




Yes, friends. That would be my husband. With a water hose. In the living room... This is how we drenched our ceilings to get rid of all the popcorn. I'm pretty sure this is actually the proper way to remove ceiling texture.





Step two. Scrape said popcorn off the ceilings. This is our awesome scaffold system in the living room. Those are ten-foot ceilings, friends. And I'm not a fan of heights. Thankfully, with the Walkers' help, we knocked this room out in about 30-45 minutes -- and finished the whole house in a day.... Best friends ever.




Our future pantry.




The living room walls withOUT the massive panels. It's a step...




David and our friend, James taking out some shelves.


So far, we've been pretty productive. As most DIY home projects, we're running into a few unexpected tasks, but we really got a lot accomplished in weekend one, so I have high hopes. This weekend we take on re-texturing and possibly ripping up the floors. We've got a long way to go, but I'm guessing March will be here before we know it. Thankfully, we have amazing friends who actually like doing this stuff (or at least pretend they do for our sake! :)) Check back later for more updates, and until then, happy home-owning!

"That's why we build, and re-build. We put away what was and make room for what will be. You hold the nails, I'll take the hammer. I hold it still if you climb the ladder. If you will, then I will build."

3 comments:

Tigpan said...

I love it! I am so excited for you dear friend!

Nick R. said...

WOW! That looks like some massive work. It's gonna look great when it's all done though. We have some popcorn on our ceiling if ya'll ever want to get the scaffolding system going again.

Anonymous said...

Wow Jillian! I bet yall are learning a ton as you go - it looks great so far! :)