Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Family Addition.

Okay, friends. So last week, David calls me at work and asks, "Hey babe, would your day be any better if there was a dog in your back yard when you came home?" David's been looking for a dog for a while now. We mourned our sweet little Derf, and we decided it was time to adopt another pooch. My day, at the time, had been just fine, so David's question left me smirking and thinking, "Yeah right, like he's really gonna bring a dog home..." But sure enough, when I pulled up to our garage, I saw the puppy paws of this:

in our backyard. To be honest, it took me a little while to warm up to the little dear. It's only been a month since Derf ran away. But it didn't take long before the sweetheart won me over. She's a 6-month-old German Shorthaired pointer with the sweetest disposition and TONS of energy. (Thank goodness we have a big backyard!) The family who previously owned her named her Paris - but we didn't like that, so we named her Jetta. Heeheee... :) Since moving into Chateau Smith, she's learned to sit, shake, and fetch. Well, okay, she really already knew how to sit and fetch, but we've perfected those skills since she got here. We love taking her out and playing - she's just the sweetest thing.

Monday night, I got home from work early, and David had to work late. I thought to myself, "I'll just take that sweet little dog for a walk." So I did. I didn't get far before I realized I didn't have my cell phone with me, and I thought David might be concerned to find his wife's car in the driveway but no wife in the house. Once I got back to the house, I didn't wanna walk anymore, so I thought to myself, "I'll just take her out on the bike. I've seen David do it a million times. Surely it's not that hard." ......... Eeesh.

Not 3 houses down our quiet little street does Jetta's leash get caught in my front tire and the back tire leap into the air, sending me straight over the handlebars.... The slow-motion freefall toward the black asphalt sent thoughts of broken teeth and scar tissue through my head, and I landed abruptly, tangled in the leash and front tire. I caught a quick breath, and shortly after, the bike landed right after me - on top of me..... (shakes head, lowers head, giggles...) Seriously, this is why I don't do anything adventurous. This is why I don't ever take risks. Inevitably something bad is going to happen. Some sort of injury is sure to wreck any hope of excitement or fun. I just need to accept this fact....

Anyways, once I realized I was still alive, no bones were broken, my face was unharmed, and sweet Jetta was still content, I sat on the side of our street laughing and shrugging my shoulders until my phone rang. David called to tell me he was on his way home, and of course, that sent me into weepy little girl mode. I hung up the phone, bit my lower lip and held it together until I got in the house - where the waterworks let loose. I'm telling you, the word, "Waahh," literally came out of my mouth. I heard, coming from my 26-year-old self, the same noises I heard a few weeks ago when my friend tried to put his 3-year-old to bed. I'm such a little kid....

So now I have a busted knee, a twisted ankle, a skinned elbow and a bunch of bruises. I've been wobbling around my office like an old woman for the past few days, but really I'm doing just fine. I probably won't be taking the dog for a bikeride anytime soon, but nevertheless, I'll survive. :)

By the way, apparently this whole dog bike thing is an actual sport called bikejoring. The video below is in a language foreign to me and it has pretty obnoxious music - but it shows you what I attempted and failed at miserably.




Notice the HELMETS and the PADS. Ugh...... :)

"...that we are blessed beyond what we could ever dream in abundance or in need."

1 comment:

The Walkers said...

If at first you don't succeed...Try, Try, Again???? Just kidding, please don't hurt yourself...I would be sad.
-Angela